Without Kyiv at the table? Zelenskyy says US discussing new NATO deal with Russia
Photo: Volodymyr Zelenskyy, President of Ukraine (Getty Images)
President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy claims that Americans and Russians are discussing a new document between NATO and Russia. It may concern Ukraine's accession to the Alliance.
"I know that the Americans, and possibly some Europeans, are discussing a new document with Russia — between NATO and Russia. When they have such a document, they will be able to discuss everything," the President said.
At the same time, Zelenskyy stressed that it is important for him that the United States discuss Ukraine's potential place in NATO with Kyiv, not only with Moscow.
"Because it concerns us. Although they can do it without us. Perhaps we do not know something. In any case, we will respond to surprises if there are any," the head of state added.
Geneva peace talks
On February 17–18, another round of trilateral talks between Ukraine, the United States, and Russia took place in Geneva.
Ahead of the meeting, Ukrainian authorities officially announced plans to discuss how a monitoring mission would operate in the event of a ceasefire. Kyiv also raised the issue of an energy truce.
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said that during the two-day talks in Geneva, the delegations of Ukraine, Russia, and the United States made significant progress on the military track. At the same time, he noted that discussions of political issues were difficult.
In addition, Zelenskyy said that the negotiations between Ukraine and the aggressor state in Geneva could have already reached the final stage, but Russia is trying to drag them out.
Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine and head of the Ukrainian delegation, Rustem Umerov, stated that some issues were clarified during the trilateral talks in Geneva. He also spoke about the next stage.
Meanwhile, Head of the Office of the President of Ukraine, Kyrylo Budanov, said, "The discussion was difficult, but important."
Later, Ukraine's Foreign Ministry announced that Kyiv and Moscow had already agreed on a new round of talks. The same was confirmed by the head of the Russian delegation, Vladimir Medinsky.
At the same time, Zelenskyy said in an interview with British journalist Piers Morgan that the fourth round of negotiations would again take place in Switzerland. He also said he would like the meeting to be held before the end of February.