US wants to significantly reduce NATO support during crises, Reuters reports
Photo: US military equipment (Getty Images)
Washington plans to significantly reduce the reserve of military resources the United States could deploy to assist European NATO members in the event of a large-scale crisis, Reuters reports.
Under NATO’s Force Model concept, alliance members identify reserve forces available for deployment during conflicts or military attacks. The exact composition of these forces is classified, but sources told the outlet that the Pentagon has decided to significantly reduce its participation in the process.
The US side plans to officially announce its decision to European allies this Friday, May 22, during a meeting of defense policy chiefs in Brussels. The United States is expected to be represented at the event by Alex Velez-Green, a key aide to Pentagon policy chief Elbridge Colby.
Adjusting this model is a top priority for the American team ahead of the NATO leaders’ summit in Türkiye in July.
At the same time, it remains unclear exactly how and how quickly the Pentagon plans to transfer defense responsibilities in crisis situations to European countries.
Burden-sharing and the nuclear shield
"US President Donald Trump has made clear he expects European countries to take over primary responsibility for the continent's security from the United States. The message to allies this week is a concrete sign of that policy being implemented,” Reuters notes.
At the same time, Pentagon policy chief Elbridge Colby publicly assured that the US would not abandon the use of its nuclear weapons to protect alliance members, even if EU countries take on the leading role in maintaining conventional armed forces.
The agency writes that NATO is currently under serious pressure. Some European countries fear that Washington, under Trump’s leadership, could withdraw from the organization entirely.
"A major adjustment to the forces the US would make available during wartime will only intensify those concerns," the material says.
As previously reported, European countries are actively assessing the risks linked to a possible reduction of US troop presence in Europe. Defense circles believe that after Trump’s decisions regarding Germany, cuts to the American military contingent could also affect Italy and Spain.
Earlier, the US president confirmed plans to reduce the American military presence in Germany. According to him, more than 5,000 US troops could leave Europe.