ua en ru

EU declares readiness to export vast majority of Ukrainian agriproducts

EU declares readiness to export vast majority of Ukrainian agriproducts The European Commissioner for Agriculture Janusz Wojciechowski (Photo: Getty Images)
Author: Daria Shekina

The European Union is ready to export almost all agricultural products from Ukraine through "solidarity lanes" after Russia's withdrawal from the "grain deal," according to the statement made by the European Commissioner for Agriculture, Janusz Wojciechowski, cited by Sky News.

"We are ready to export almost everything. This is about 4 million tonnes per month of oilseeds and grains and we achieved this volume in November last year," Janusz Wojciechowski said.

Wojciechowski added that before Russia withdrew from the Black Sea grain deal, 60% of Ukraine's exports were sent through "solidarity lanes" established by the EU and Ukraine's neighboring countries. The remaining 40% of food products were transported via the Black Sea.

It is worth noting that the "solidarity lanes" allow the transportation of goods through EU countries using barges, railways, road transport, or inland waterways.

Russian withdrawal from 'grain deal'

On July 17, Russia announced its withdrawal from the "grain deal," which had been in effect for a year and allowed for the safe export of Ukrainian food products from Black Sea ports.

Following this, the occupiers have been launching almost nightly attacks on southern Ukraine. Specifically, they have been shelling Odesa and its surrounding regions.

For instance, on the night of July 24, the aggressors attacked the river port of Reni on the Danube, which is located near the border with Romania.

It should be noted that agriculture ministers from European Union countries are currently discussing ways to support the export of Ukrainian grain amidst the Russian strikes on port infrastructure.