ua en ru

War in Israel: IDF destroys main Gaza City tunnel network

War in Israel: IDF destroys main Gaza City tunnel network Photo: The IDF destroyed the main Hamas tunnels in the Gaza Strip (GettyImages)

The IDF announced the destruction of the main tunnel network of Hamas. It was located under the territory of Palestine in the prestigious area of the city of Gaza, according to the Times of Israel.

"According to the military, Hamas’s most senior officials hid underground in the tunnel network when the terror group launched its October 7 onslaught on southern Israel," the statement said.

The underground network connected the homes, offices, and hideout apartments of high-ranking Hamas officials, including the leader of the military wing of the terrorist group, Muhammad Deif, and his top official in Gaza, Yahya Sinwar.

The IDF had been monitoring the tunnels in recent days after previous reconnaissance. The demolition was carried out by the elite combat engineering unit Yahalom and the 401st Armored Brigade.

Representatives of the Israel Defense Forces conducted a tour of Palestine Square and entrances to the tunnels for the media.

"Palestine Square is located in the upscale Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City, an area that before the war was seen as the power center of the enclave’s elite, home to top officials from the terror group ruling the Strip," the publication notes.

As Israeli military personnel told journalists, under the prestigious commercial district where high-ranking Hamas officials lived with their families, there is actually a whole network of tunnels. There they hid on October 7 when the group attacked southern Israel.

The statement notes that in residential premises equipped in the tunnels, supplies of food and water were found. The Israeli military described this complex as an "underground city of terror" connected to other important underground infrastructure objects in the Gaza Strip.

War between Israel and Hamas

On October 7, militants from the Palestinian movement Hamas invaded Israeli territory. They killed, kidnapped, and tortured both military and civilians, and also fired rockets at the country's cities. In response, Tel Aviv announced the start of a ground operation called Operation Iron Swords in the Gaza Strip.

At the end of November, Israel signed a ceasefire agreement with Hamas and released hostages.

The ceasefire lasted until December 1 and was broken by Hamas shelling Israeli territory.

On December 20, Israel proposed a one-week ceasefire to the Palestinians. Tel Aviv offered to release 40 individuals, including women, children, and elderly men in urgent need of medical assistance. However, Hamas rejected Israel's offer for a one-week ceasefire.