Most devastating in decade mine explosion rocks China, killing 90
A tragedy in northern China has claimed dozens of lives (illustrative photo: Getty Images)
A gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province, China, has killed at least 90 people, CNN reports.
The explosion occurred on the evening of May 22, when nearly 250 miners were underground. According to state broadcaster CCTV, the rescue operation lasted almost 24 hours.
As of May 23, rescuers had evacuated at least 201 people. Another 123 survivors were hospitalized with various injuries.
Hundreds of rescuers were working at the scene, with dozens of ambulances stationed near the mine, while search teams descended underground to locate workers who may still have been trapped.
Chinese leader Xi Jinping called for an "all-out rescue" of the missing and ordered a thorough investigation into the causes of the tragedy.
Preliminary data say dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide were detected at the mine before the explosion.
One surviving miner said he saw thick smoke and smelled a strong sulfur odor before the blast.
"I told people to run – while running, I saw people who had been choked and knocked down by the smoke, and then I fainted too," he said.
The man later regained consciousness and managed to escape the mine together with other workers.
Chinese authorities have already announced the detention of the person responsible for the company operating the mine. The causes of the accident are still being investigated.
Earlier, in January 2026, a powerful explosion occurred at the Inner Mongolia Baotou Steel Union steel plant in Inner Mongolia. At least two workers were killed in the accident, dozens more were injured, and several employees were reported missing.