ua en ru

Reuters names possible scenarios of Trump's operation against Iran

Reuters names possible scenarios of Trump's operation against Iran Photo: US President Donald Trump (Getty Images)
Author: Daryna Vialko

The United States is considering various options for a military operation against Iran, ranging from targeted strikes on representatives of the ayatollah regime to a full regime change, Reuters reports.

Two US officials told the outlet that the review of military options is the latest sign that Washington is preparing for a serious conflict with Iran if diplomatic efforts fail.

"In his first term, Trump showed a willingness to carry out targeted killings by approving a 2020 attack on Iran's top general, Qassem Soleimani, who led the foreign espionage and paramilitary arm of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, known as the Quds Force," Reuters says.

One source noted Israel’s success in eliminating Iranian leaders during last year’s military operation Rising Lion. According to the outlet, at least 20 high-ranking Iranian officers were killed at the time.

"The 12-day war and Israeli strikes against individual targets really showed the utility of that approach," the US official said, adding that the main focus was on individuals among the commanders of the Quds Force.

At the same time, the source emphasized that targeted strikes against representatives of the ayatollah regime would require additional intelligence resources.

"Killing a particular military commander would mean knowing their exact location and understanding who else might be harmed in the operation," the agency says.

Background

On February 17, the United States and Iran met in Geneva for talks on Tehran’s nuclear program. The sides agreed on a set of guiding principles, although a US official said that many details still need to be discussed.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt stated that Iran is expected to provide more detailed information about its negotiating position within the next two weeks. She declined to say whether Trump would delay potential military action.

According to media reports, on February 28, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio will travel to Israel to meet with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and brief him on the progress of the negotiations with Iran.

During the first round of talks in Oman on February 6, Iran proposed transferring its enriched uranium to Russia. Iranian representatives also indicated that they could offer to suspend uranium enrichment for up to three years.

The United States is working on various response options to developments in Iran’s missile program, combining diplomatic pressure with preparations for alternative measures. If negotiations fail to yield results, Washington does not rule out supporting Israel in potential military action against Iran.

US President Donald Trump discussed possible timelines for strikes on Iran, not excluding that such a decision could be implemented as early as the coming weekend.