Trump told Netanyahu he would support Israeli missile strikes on Iran
Photo: Donald Trump and Benjamin Netanyahu (Getty Images)
Washington is considering various scenarios regarding Iran’s missile program. In the event of failed diplomatic efforts, the US does not rule out supporting Israeli military action.
CBS News reported on this development.
Read also: Trump plans Netanyahu meeting ahead of Board of Peace kickoff — Axios
Negotiations and military scenario
During a meeting at Mar-a-Lago in December, US President Donald Trump told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that he was prepared to support Israeli strikes on Iran’s missile program if Washington and Tehran failed to reach an agreement.
According to sources in US military and intelligence circles, the focus was not on Israel’s ability to act but on the format of potential US support.
Options discussed included aerial refueling for Israeli jets and securing permission to fly through the airspace of third countries.
Regional context and show of force
It remains unclear which states could grant such permission. Previously, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates publicly stated they would not allow their airspace to be used for strikes on Iran.
Discussions within US national security structures coincided with an increase in American military presence in the region. Notably, the aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford and its accompanying strike group were sent to the Middle East.
Israel’s prime minister remains skeptical of the diplomatic process and insists that any deal with Iran must include limits on ballistic missiles.
Previously, during a White House meeting, Trump and Netanyahu agreed on measures to increase economic pressure on Iran, including restrictions on Iranian oil exports to China.
Trump announced that on February 19, a Peace Council summit will be held in Washington to present new decisions and initiatives concerning the situation in Gaza.