ua en ru

US could strike Iran as soon as this weekend, Trump still weighing decision - CBS News

US could strike Iran as soon as this weekend, Trump still weighing decision - CBS News Photo: Donald Trump, President of the United States (Getty Images)
Author: Oleh Velhan

US President Donald Trump discussed the timing of potential strikes on Iran, including the possibility of acting as soon as this weekend, according to CBS News and CNN.

Read also: Possible US operation in Iran could target state buildings - Reuters

According to sources, senior national security officials told Donald Trump on Wednesday that the military could be ready to carry out potential strikes on Iran as early as Saturday. However, any action may extend beyond this weekend, as Trump has not yet made a final decision.

One source told CNN that Trump has privately expressed both support for and opposition to military action while consulting advisers and allies on the best course forward and is spending significant time weighing the decision.

"He is spending a lot of time thinking about this," one source said.

US force deployments

CNN reported that the White House was briefed on strike readiness after the US significantly increased its air and naval presence in the Middle East in recent days.

The USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group is already in the region, while a second group led by the USS Gerald R. Ford has been heading toward the Middle East and was located off the coast of West Africa as of Wednesday, according to vessel-tracking data.

Sources cited by CBS News said the Pentagon plans to temporarily relocate some personnel from the Middle East to Europe or back to the US within the next three days as a precaution ahead of potential military action or Iranian retaliation. The outlet noted that such repositioning is standard practice and does not necessarily indicate an imminent strike.

Background

On February 17, the US and Iran held talks in Geneva on Tehran’s nuclear program. Iran’s chief negotiator said the sides agreed on a set of guiding principles, while a US official said many details still need to be discussed.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Iran is expected to present more details on its negotiating position in the coming weeks but did not say whether Trump would delay military action.

Media reports also said US Secretary of State Marco Rubio is expected to travel to Israel on February 28 to meet Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and discuss the negotiations.

Earlier reporting indicated that during the first round of talks in Oman on February 6, Iran proposed transferring enriched uranium to Russia and signaled willingness to suspend enrichment for up to three years.

The US previously joined Israel in strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities during the 12-day conflict in June 2025, which intelligence assessments said caused significant damage to Tehran’s nuclear program.

Before the conflict, Iran accelerated uranium enrichment after the US withdrew from the 2014 nuclear deal. According to the International Atomic Energy Agency, Iran has enriched uranium to 60%, a level considered a short technical step from weapons-grade, making it the only non-nuclear-armed state enriching uranium to that level.