ua en ru

Ursula von der Leyen speaks with Trump after Russia’s massive attack on Kyiv

Ursula von der Leyen speaks with Trump after Russia’s massive attack on Kyiv Archive photo: European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and US President Donald Trump (Getty Images)
Author: Daryna Vialko

The President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, held a phone call with US President Donald Trump after Russia’s massive attack on Kyiv on August 28, Sky News reports.

Von der Leyen said she spoke with Trump after Russia’s large-scale strike on Kyiv overnight.

At least 18 people were killed during the Russian attack, and the building of the EU mission in Ukraine was also damaged. The European Commission chief did not reveal the details of her conversation with Trump, but stated afterward that Russian leader Vladimir Putin must come to the negotiating table.

"We must secure a just and lasting peace for Ukraine with firm and credible security guarantees that will turn the country into a steel porcupine. Europe will fully play its part," von der Leyen emphasized.

Massive attack on Kyiv

On the night of August 28, Russian forces launched a massive combined attack on Kyiv. The Russian army struck the capital with Shahed drones, cruise missiles, and ballistic missiles, including Kinzhal missiles.

Ukrainian Air Force spokesperson Yurii Ihnat said this was one of the heaviest attacks on the capital.

In particular, in the Darnytskyi district, a missile hit a five-story residential building. One entrance was completely destroyed, with the impact affecting the third and fourth floors, causing extensive damage. So far, 18 casualties have been reported.

Diplomatic facilities were also targeted by Russia. The building of the European Union mission in Ukraine was damaged.

European Council President António Costa stated that Russia deliberately damaged the building of the European Union delegation, which supports Ukraine in the war. However, the European community will not be intimidated by this.

At the same time, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said Russia attacked diplomats, a direct violation of the Vienna Convention.

The Ukrainian Foreign Minister stressed that the situation requires not only condemnation from the EU but also a response from the entire world. He added that Ukraine expresses solidarity with EU colleagues and is ready to provide assistance.

For more details on what is currently known about the Kyiv strike on August 28, see the material by RBC-Ukraine.