Ukrainian army chief issues statement on threat from Belarus
Photo: Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Oleksandr Syrskyi (facebook.com/CinCAFofUkraine)
Russian forces are considering the possibility of conducting an operation against Ukraine from the territory of Belarus. The enemy may be preparing for such actions, states Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Oleksandr Syrskyi in an interview with Militarnyi.
The general recalled the latest Ukrainian intelligence data previously voiced by President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. The information concerns the threat of a Russian operation from Belarusian territory.
"A possible operation in the north is real. We know that the Russian General Staff is currently actively calculating and planning offensive operations from the north," Syrskyi said.
He pointed out that if the enemy carries out such plans, the front line would expand.
What Zelenskyy said
On May 15, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, following a meeting with the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, the Defense Intelligence of the Ukrainian Defense Ministry, the Foreign Intelligence Service, and the Security Service of Ukraine, said that Russia was considering new operations in which it wants to use the territory of Belarus.
According to the Ukrainian president, such operations could be directed either against Ukraine or against one of the NATO countries.
The president noted that the enemy’s plans include an operation along the Chernihiv-Kyiv direction.
Just a few days later, Belarus and Russia launched joint nuclear drills.
As Andriy Kovalenko told RBC-Ukraine in a comment, the Russian forces are trying to achieve three goals at once through such actions.