Putin may send part of conscripts to fight in Ukraine, British intelligence says

Russian conscripts recruited for the spring conscription are likely to be forced to sign contracts to participate in the war against Ukraine, according to the UK Ministry of Defense.
According to British intelligence, Russian conscripts planned for this year's spring conscription will likely be required to sign contracts for deployment to the war in Ukraine.
This information comes from an analysis of a decree by Russian dictator Vladimir Putin, signed at the end of March, which calls for the conscription of 160,000 Russians for mandatory military service.
According to intelligence data, Russia traditionally does not send conscripts to combat zones, but last year, during battles in the Kursk region, conscripts participated in combat operations. This caused significant discontent among parents, as their sons were sent to combat zones after only four months of training.
The intelligence service reminded that conscription in Russia takes place twice a year - in the spring and fall. The previous conscription cycle began on October 1, 2024.
This conscription is the largest since 2011. It aligns with the Russian Ministry of Defense's announcement in December 2022 to increase the total personnel of the armed forces to 1.5 million by the end of 2026.
"Russia has likely sustained more than 900,000 casualties fighting in Ukraine. To replace these battlefield losses and sustain the war effort, conscripts will almost certainly be pressured to sign permanent military contracts which make them eligible for duty in Ukraine," the report says.
Spring conscription in Russia
On March 31, Russian leader Vladimir Putin signed a decree on the spring conscription of Russian citizens aged 18 to 30. Approximately 160,000 individuals will be drafted.
The conscription in Russia began on April 1 and will last until July 15.
In the same decree, Putin discharged soldiers, sailors, sergeants, and petty officers whose conscription service period had expired.