Iran threatens US with 'devastating' response over sanctions
Tehran said it would respond militarily to any new threats from the United States. Washington had previously vowed to impose the toughest financial sanctions in history to bring down Iran’s leadership, Reuters reports.
Iran threatens the US
Iranian Armed Forces Chief of Staff Major General Ali Abdollahi said the Islamic Republic’s response would be broad and decisive.
"With preparedness across land, sea, air, air defence and cyberspace, Iran's armed forces will respond to the enemy's new threats with crushing, punishing and devastating responses," Iranian media quoted the senior military official as saying.
Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf is the country’s chief negotiator in mediated talks with the United States. He said Washington believes it cannot win in a direct military confrontation.
"We must make plans to deal with the unjust sanctions so that we can overcome them," he said in neighboring Iraq.
Qalibaf also accused the United States and Israel of waging economic and "cognitive" warfare.
New US sanctions against Iran
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said he would provide details on August 24 about the planned sanctions against Iran.
Bessent said the measures should not lead to higher oil prices.
Earlier, Iran’s Foreign Ministry said US sanctions will not create even the slightest doubt about the Iranian people’s determination to defend Iran’s independence, dignity and national sovereignty.
Iran has faced almost continuous economic sanctions for nearly 50 years, dating back to the 1979 Islamic Revolution.
RBC-Ukraine previously reported that the United States plans to introduce unprecedented measures against Iran, primarily involving intense economic pressure on the regime.
In addition, US President Donald Trump has changed his strategy toward Iran, opting for sanctions and a wait-and-see approach instead of military action.