ua en ru

Who's next for Usyk? Champion names two potential opponents

Sun, May 24, 2026 - 08:45
2 min
Usyk's next challenger steps into the ring moments after victory
Who's next for Usyk? Champion names two potential opponents Photo: Ukrainian boxer Oleksandr Usyk (Getty Images)

After defeating Rico Verhoeven by technical knockout in the 11th round, Oleksandr Usyk said he is ready to face two more opponents, according to Suspilne.

What happened after the fight

Undefeated German boxer Kabayel (27-0, 19 KOs) entered the ring to face Usyk immediately after the final bell. Saudi promoter Turki Alalshikh proposed that Usyk first fight Kabayel and then have a rematch with Verhoeven in the Netherlands. Kabayel added that he would like to face Usyk in Germany.

"Okay, no problem. I can box both of them," Usyk replied briefly.

Verhoeven on a rematch

The Dutch fighter, who was ahead on one judge's scorecard before the bout was stopped, reacted cautiously to the idea of a rematch.

"His Excellency told me he wants a rematch. But that's not my decision. We'll see," he said.

Title challengers

Usyk retained his WBC, WBA, and IBF titles. Britain's Moses Itauma remains the mandatory challenger for the WBA belt. Cuban boxer Frank Sanchez became the new IBF mandatory challenger following the undercard results.

Earlier, RBC-Ukraine published striking images of Usyk and Verhoeven's staredown in the middle of the Egyptian desert. You can also read surprising facts about Rico Verhoeven, the "King of Kickboxing," who had previously lost to the Ukrainian champion. In addition, undefeated Ukrainian boxer Daniel Lapin faced Benjamin Mendes Tani on the undercard.

Or read us wherever it's convenient for you!