ua en ru

White House issues statement on Trump’s reaction to Kyiv attack

White House issues statement on Trump’s reaction to Kyiv attack Photo: Donald Trump, President of the United States (Getty Images)
Author: Daryna Vialko

US President Donald Trump was displeased by Russia’s strike on Kyiv, but it did not surprise him, said White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt.

Leavitt was asked whether she agrees with US Special Envoy Keith Kellogg, who called Russia’s massive strike on Ukraine on the night of August 28 "egregious".

"It's not about if I agree, it's about what the President thinks, and I know what the President thinks, because I talked to him about this. He was not happy about this news, but he was also not surprised," she said.

She reminded that Russia struck Kyiv, while Ukraine targeted Russian oil refineries. As a result of the attacks of the Ukrainian army, 20% of Russia’s refining capacity was put out of operation.

"The President is continuing to watch this intently. This killing, unfortunately, will continue as long as the war continues, which is why the President wants it to end, and that's why he's worked harder than anyone to end this war," the White House Press Secretary added.

She suggested that both sides are apparently not yet ready to end the war themselves, and that the leaders of Ukraine and Russia "must want it."

Russia’s strike on Kyiv

On the night of August 28, Russian forces launched nearly 600 drones and 31 missiles at Ukraine, with Kyiv as the main target.

So far, at least 21 people have been killed, including four children.

As Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy noted, this attack shows that Russian leader Vladimir Putin chooses missiles over peace.