ua en ru

Ukraine reaches deal with Russia on evacuation from Oleshky

Fri, May 22, 2026 - 21:05
2 min
What is known about the situation in the settlement?
Ukraine reaches deal with Russia on evacuation from Oleshky Illustrative photo: evacuation operation (facebook.com/patrolpolice.gov.ua)

Ukraine has agreed on technical issues with Russia regarding the evacuation of around 6,000 civilians from the Oleshky area. Kyiv is currently awaiting a ceasefire date from Russia in order to begin evacuating people, stated the Ukrainian Parliament Commissioner for Human Rights Dmytro Lubinets, according to Ukrinform.

According to the ombudsman, the evacuation plan covers the city of Oleshky and several nearby settlements. Among the 6,000 people to be evacuated are around 200 children. Talks on this issue took place on May 15.

"At present, we have technically discussed all issues. We are waiting for a date from the Russian side when the ceasefire process will be launched, and the physical evacuation will begin," he said.

Lubinets clarified that the evacuation will be carried out to Ukrainian-controlled territory. First, the people will be taken to a relatively safe location, after which the Ukrainian side will collect them and bring them back to the territory under the control of the Ukrainian government.

Current situation in Oleshky

The ombudsman stressed that a real humanitarian catastrophe has been unfolding in Oleshky for several months.

"In other words, people are sitting in basements, active combat operations are taking place there, there are bombings, drones are being used, food has practically run out, and there is not enough drinking water," Lubinets said.

Ukraine first sent a request to the Red Cross and Russia at the beginning of March to organize a humanitarian corridor from Oleshky and nearby areas in the Kherson region. Since then, the security and humanitarian situation in these settlements has significantly worsened.

Earlier, the 21st Separate Unmanned Systems Regiment Kraken 1654 of the 3rd Army Corps of the Ukrainian Armed Forces carried out an operation to rescue civilians in the Lyman direction using unmanned ground vehicles.

In addition, due to worsening security conditions and constant strikes, a mandatory evacuation was announced in one of the districts of the Dnipropetrovsk region. Residents of several settlements were ordered to leave within 30 days.

Or read us wherever it's convenient for you!