Ukraine and US delegations holding talks in Miami on peace plan
Photo: Rustem Umerov, Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine (Getty Images)
The meeting between the Ukrainian and American delegations aimed at securing peace in Ukraine has already begun in the United States. The Ukrainian side will report the results directly to President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, according to Rustem Umerov, Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine and YouTube channel Suspilne.
"I remain in constant contact with the President of Ukraine. We have clear directives and priorities: safeguarding Ukrainian interests, ensuring substantive dialogue, and advancing on the basis of the progress achieved in Geneva," Umerov said.
He added that the delegation is working toward real peace for Ukraine and guaranteed security, and emphasized that all meeting outcomes will be reported directly to the Ukrainian leader.
The US and Ukrainian delegations are meeting in Florida to discuss a plan to end Russia's war against Ukraine.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said that they were already halfway toward ensuring Ukraine's independence and that significant progress had been made that day.
Umerov noted that discussions are ongoing about Ukraine's future, including its security, prosperity, and reconstruction.
"We expect a productive meeting," he said.
About the Ukrainian delegation
On November 29, the Ukrainian delegation traveled to the United States to continue discussions on the peace plan. It includes Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council Rustem Umerov and First Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Sergiy Kyslytsya.
They are scheduled to meet US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, in Florida.
Ukrainian President Zelenskyy said the Ukrainian delegation would include the Chief of the General Staff of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, intelligence officials, the National Security and Defense Council, and officials from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The delegation was previously headed by Andriy Yermak, who has since resigned.
On the morning of November 29, Ukraine's National Anti-Corruption Bureau (NABU) and Specialized Anti-Corruption Prosecutor's Office (SAP) conducted searches at the former head of the Presidential Office, Andriy Yermak. No charges were announced, but Yermak submitted his resignation later that evening.
President Zelenskyy accepted Yermak's resignation and said consultations would begin to appoint a new head of the Presidential Office.
The searches could be connected to Operation Midas, a major corruption case in Ukraine's energy sector. For more details on the searches, the scandal, and the ongoing investigation, read RBC-Ukraine's report.