ua en ru

IDF discovers tunnels and weapons in Hamas leaders' houses

IDF discovers tunnels and weapons in Hamas leaders' houses Illustrative photo (Getty Images)

The Israeli military conducted an airstrike on the office of a commander of one of the battalions of Hamas and the residences of several high-ranking commanders, including the leader of the terrorist group in Gaza, Yahya Sinwar, according to The Times of Israel.

Commander of the 7th Armored Brigade, Colonel Elad Tzuri, stated that his forces are engaged in battles with Hamas in the area of Khan Younis. According to him, the brigade has also reached the main square in Bani Suheila, on the outskirts of Khan Younis.

During the operations, brigade soldiers destroyed "numerous terrorists," including as a result of tank fire. In addition, soldiers discovered about 30 tunnel shafts, hit dozens of anti-tank rocket launchers and observation points, as well as seized weapons used by Hamas militants and intelligence materials.

“We found weapons, tunnels inside vacation homes of senior Hamas officials,” Tzuri says. “We see a lot of tunnel shafts here, still encountering the enemy but gaining operational control of the area,” he adds.

According to the IDF, near the offices of the Khan Younis battalion commander and the homes of senior Hamas commanders, the military also raided an outpost belonging to the Deir el-Balah battalion, a terrorist group, and seized intelligence materials.

During another raid, the troops seized weapons and equipment in the house of a member of the elite Hamas forces Nukhba.

War between Israel and Hamas

In early October, Hamas militants invaded Israel. Soon after, the Israeli Defense Forces initiated Operation Iron Swords.

On November 24, a temporary ceasefire between Tel Aviv and the militants began for the release of prisoners. However, on December 1, Israel claimed that hostilities resumed due to violations of the ceasefire terms by Hamas.

On December 14, the White House expressed a desire to end the war between Israel and Hamas as quickly as possible. On the same day, Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant stated that the war would last for more than a few months.