ua en ru

Discard immediately: Products unsalvageable if mold appears

Discard immediately: Products unsalvageable if mold appears Illustrative photo (Photo: Freepik)
Author: Daria Shekina

Mold is almost always associated with spoiled products that are unsafe to eat. However, not all mold is the same. Some of these products can be saved by simply cutting off the affected part. But some must be thrown away immediately.

RBC-Ukraine explains which products cannot be saved if mold appears.

Sources used in writing this material: State Food and Beverage Service website and MailOnline.

Products that need to be discarded

Food safety expert Richard Fuchs from the University of Greenwich reveals that the most dangerous mold-contaminated products are nuts, grains, and apples. They should be discarded immediately.

Eating such products can lead to an allergic reaction to mold.

It's important to remember that the most dangerous mold is for children, the elderly, and pregnant women.

The expert notes that mold can also produce toxic compounds called mycotoxins. They are dangerous as they suppress the immune system and cause reproductive problems.

The most harmful type of mycotoxin is aflatoxin, which causes serious complications. It is produced by two types of mold - Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus. It can be found in moldy nuts, rice, spices, oils, and cocoa beans.

Patulin is another mycotoxin that can grow on rotten apples. If consumed, it can cause nausea, gastrointestinal disorders, and vomiting.

It's important to remember that the softer the product, the easier it is for mold to penetrate inside. It produces microscopic thread-like structures called hyphae. They are not visible to the naked eye.

Berries, jams, and soft cheese that have started to spoil should also be discarded.

Products that can be saved

Carrots, onions, other hard vegetables, and fruits can be saved from mold by simply cutting off the affected area.

If you see traces of mold on hard cheese that has been in the refrigerator for some time, it can still be consumed after cutting 3-4 centimeters from the affected area.

If you accidentally consume stale bread or other moldy products, doctors recommend immediately taking activated charcoal.

How to preserve food

To avoid mold on products, follow these tips:

  • Keep the refrigerator clean at all times.
  • Regularly sort through and discard rotten and spoiled vegetables, fruits, and other products.
  • Use food wrap or airtight containers for storing products - they prevent the entry and reproduction of spores.
  • Do not buy food with expiration dates or that is expired.