ua en ru

Trump confirms death of three US soldiers in Lithuania

Trump confirms death of three US soldiers in Lithuania Photo: Donald Trump (Getty Images)
Author: Oleh Velhan

Yesterday in Lithuania, the bodies of three out of four missing US service members were discovered at a training ground. President Donald Trump confirmed the deaths of at least three soldiers, according to CNN.

“Three are no longer with us, and one is unfortunately probably in the same category, but they haven’t declared that yet,” Trump said today from the Oval Office.

It is known that the soldiers’ vehicle sank into a swamp. According to Trump, it appears that it “would seem that the bank of a lake collapsed” under the weight of the equipment.

“It’s a massively heavy vehicle and if they slipped a little bit they… that’s probably what happened, and it flipped,” he said.

Background

The soldiers and their M88 Hercules armored recovery vehicle went missing early in the morning on March 25. That day, they were conducting a training operation focused on vehicle maintenance, towing another US military vehicle at a Lithuanian training ground.

Yesterday morning, reports emerged that the armored vehicle had been found, and the missing soldiers were likely inside. Later, it was confirmed that three service members were found deceased, while the search for the fourth continues.

The identities of the deceased have not been publicly disclosed, as their families must be notified first.